Fourteen Hills is currently CLOSED for unsolicited submissions until March 1, 2015.
During open submission periods, all submissions must be sent through Submittable.
We accept the following unpublished unsolicited submissions:
- 1 to 3 poems (ideally 30-35 lines with blank lines counted; maximum 70 lines)
- 1 short story or novel excerpt (maximum around 25 pages)
- 3 pieces of flash fiction
- 1 piece of literary creative nonfiction
- Up to 10 pages of experimental or cross-genre literature (including graphic stories)
- 3 to 10 pieces of visual art
Writers may submit once per submission period. The submission periods are:
- September 1 to December 1 for inclusion in the summer issue (released in May)
- March 1 to June 1 for inclusion in the winter issue (released in December)
Once published in our journal, writers may submit again after one year.
Response times vary from four to nine months, depending on where your submission falls in the reading period.
Please note that we are unable to provide financial compensation. If your submission is accepted for publication in the journal, you will receive two free copies of the journal issue that your work appears in, and a discount on additional copies of the issue.
IMPORTANT: As of January 1, 2013, we NO LONGER accept hard copy submissions.
We accept simultaneous submissions; however, please be sure to notify us immediately by email should you need to withdraw submissions due to publication elsewhere. For examples, order a back issue or subscribe to the magazine.
Join us on Facebook or Twitter to stay up to date on book releases, events, and submissions.