Submissions are currently OPEN. All submissions must be sent through Submittable.
We accept the following unpublished unsolicited submissions:
- 3 to 5 poems (ideally 30-35 lines with blank lines counted; maximum 70 lines)
- 1 short story or novel excerpt (maximum around 25 pages)
- 3 pieces of flash fiction
- 1 piece of literary creative nonfiction
- Up to 10 pages of experimental or cross-genre literature (including graphic stories)
- 3 to 10 pieces of visual art, must be a series
Writers may submit once per submission period. The submission periods are:
- September 1 to January 1 for inclusion in the summer issue (released in May)
- March 1 to July 1 for inclusion in the winter issue (released in December)
Once published in our journal, writers may submit again after three years.
Response times vary from four to nine months, depending on where your submission falls in the reading period, but we will usually respond within five months.
The fall/winter 2013 submission period is now OPEN. We will be accepting submissions until June 30, 2013.
IMPORTANT: As of January 1st 2013, we NO LONGER accept hardcopy submissions.
We accept simultaneous submissions; however, please be sure to notify us immediately by email should you need to withdraw submissions due to publication elsewhere.
Please please please only send us your strongest unpublished work. Do not send us something you don’t have full confidence in. We publish only the best work we receive. For examples, order a backissue or subscribe to the magazine.
Join us on Facebook or Twitter to stay up to date on book releases, events, and submissions.